18.5.09

that bird just became a man

You how when you're out driving around, there will almost always be some bird that flies right through the middle of the street, really close to your car?  I used to think those birds were just being daredevils, or showing off how well they can navigate through busy traffic, trying to impress all those lady birds.  

Recently, however, I've changed my mind.  I now think that dodging traffic is some kind of bird rite of passage.  On a road trip I took a while ago, one bird failed that rite of passage.

9 comments:

Carolyn said...

aw... poor bird :(

sukie said...

I always slow down for the birds - it's like they are laughing danger in the face.

Susie said...

As I recall, birds are especially fond of you, honey.

Love you!

Mom

Shinobi said...

that last one probably isn't :)

TheWizard said...

Bird Brain is not a term used without cause. There was the pheasant the flew through Grandma & Grandpa's kitchen window on Thanksgiving Day 1976. I was out of town at the time, but the story made the newspaper.

TheWizard said...

Make that 1974... typo...

Shinobi said...

is that the same one that was "hit by a truck," and was hanging up in the basement?

TheWizard said...

No, that bird was the result of a hunting trip & a creative taxidermist. The one that flew through the window escaped.

Scooter said...

when I was in Texas, a bird flew into the bay window and laid stunned (we thought dead) on the grass for about 30 mins. then it got up and flew away.