21.11.08

wait...what class is this?

I just got out of my biology class and I feel like venting. 

First, why do I have to take bio100?  I've already taken, and done very well in, bio120 bio220, and inbio465.  What could I possibly learn in bio100 that wasn't covered in those other classes?  So far, nothing.

Second, why do they want us to write like we just came out of high school?  I realize this is a freshman class, but should that mean I should go back to the 5 sentence paragraphs and basic essay structure I learned in high school, ignoring what I've learned about writing in my technical writing class and from experience with the papers I've submitted for publication, which, before they are submitted, are checked by multiple professors, all of which have had papers published in some journal somewhere, which is certainly more than the ta grading my papers can say.  

Third, is there a reason why more points are given out for "proper" structure in papers than is given out for accurate biological information?  I thought I was in bio100, but it looks like I ended up in English 101, with a biological emphasis.

Fourth, since when is it normal for students in a freshman class to know more about the class topic than the professor?  I know my professor specializes in environmental biology, but shouldn't he know enough about genetics that he doesn't need to ask some random girl in the class, who did a report on genetics in high school, to explain the phenotypes of individuals born with an additional X chromosome?

Fifth, why is it ok for the professor to allow a conversation on genetics and inheritance of traits degenerate into a conversation of possible causes of body hair growth in humans and facial hair on women?

4 comments:

sukie said...

Is it too late to test out.

Sarah said...

I'm sorry for you and scared for me for next semester! Maybe i'll luck out more than you.

TheWizard said...

My last semester I was taking the Freshman level American History class - required for graduation.

100 level classes = low level expectation classes for non-majors who need to plug a hole in general education, but aren't up to understanding the more technical 110 or 120 level classes.

Sorry you have one your senior year.

Berserk said...

Reminds me of why I avoided going to college for as long as I possibly could.